Welcome my fellow creative to episode SIX of The Mindful Creative: The Biggest Mistake I've Made: Following Someone Else's Journey.
In this episode it’s just little ol' me chatting to you about the biggest mistake iI'vemade, and as I’ve just said that I'm feeling like this should be one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made cause let’s face it, in life we make many and I am no stranger to that.
But the mistake I'm focusing on today is following someone else's journey into creativity.
Now this episode idea came to me when I was swimming laps in the pool, and at the time I felt super passionate about this topic. Today, sitting down to chat with you, I’ll confess I feel a little dumb. Maybe it's because I’ve put down words on paper and it feels so obvious that following someone else's journey would lead to unfulfillment or the fact that in creating this episode i've realised that I am still doing it - just with other people in other niches. But, I guess I'm willing to take one for the team.
Today's episode was designed to inspire you to create a path unique to you if you're:
Feeling like something is missing from your journey, but you can't quite work out what it might be.
Head and heart battle with different goals or benchmarks for your journey and you can't work out why that is.
Constantly looking to others to inspire action for your journey, and you look to the benchmarks and successes of others to define success for yourself.
- It’s near impossible to always have the same level of exponential growth throughout your entire journey.
- ‘Feeling inspired’ and ‘reliving’ the journey's of others are two completely different things that take us in different directions and have totally different consequences.
- When you copy someone else's journey, anytime you try to reach a milestone or a goal you are checking in with the benchmark in someone else's life.
- Only you can decide what your path looks like. Only you can decide what is successful, fulfilling for you.
- Expecting to be anything else than who you are will ultimately lead to disappointment.
- Don't do the things that don’t light you up.
- Trust that you are the one person who knows you best. You’re the one person who gets to define and set your journey.
- Success will never be achieved by pretending to be someone else.
I want to hear what your heart really wants to work on, but your head isn’t telling you no. Leave me a comment below.
Quote: ‘A journey is like a person, no two are alike’ ~ John Steinbeck
Book: The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving A F*ck ~ Sarah Knight